Posted by STEVE M on
Valvo was shortly after the launch of Radio (1924 in Germany by the X-ray tube company CHF Müller Carl Heinrich Mueller Florence called "X-Smith") as "radio tube factory in Hamburg 'in Hamburg, was founded. She placed first amplifier and transmitter electron tubes (set 1975) for the then young and expanding broadcasting ago.
The name Valvo, derived from the English word "valve" (tube), stood for novel types of tubes, which were so common that they sometimes, like the 1924-built triode "normal tube", as "Valvo normal" were known. In 1927, CHF Müller joined the radio tube factory and the Philips -enterprises. Already in the 30s to the advanced manufacturing program by an additional component to CRT to electrolytic capacitors , speaker , Hochohmwiderstände and special tubes.
During the Second World War the company moved in June 1943, a portion of its production to Horneburg in the district of Stade. There were also employed forced laborers of the Neuengamme concentration camp , which in 1944 the central warehouse was established Horneburg.
The actual expansion of the "Valvo GmbH", an organization that had 1974 in Germany, four large manufacturing facilities and together with the products of other Philips plants as well as all former electronic and electro-mechanical components sales continued, after the war. Driven by the rapid development in radio and television technology have not only developed the tubes. Valvo was up in the 80s, the world leader in the development of television picture tubes. By 1953, six years after the invention of the transistor , developed at the first industrial Valvo transistors for power amplifiers, which were then delivered 1957th Then came 1966 and the first integrated circuits from Valvo-production on the market and early 70s belonged Valvo with the driving forces in the development of components for automatic assembly.
Parallel to the new components created with the Valvo, a technical documentation of these new components. Known and very popular among developers and tinkerers were the "Valvo pocket books," books in handy A6 format, which contained, among other things, the operational data base and assignments of the most common types of tubes.
1974, in the 50th Operation Jubilee included, the product spectrum of Valvo approximately 30,000 electronic and electromechanical single types, employed in Germany, 8,000 employees, 5,000 of them had in Hamburg, with a market share of 21% sales of over one billion DM and was the largest components supplier in the Federal Republic .
The decline of the European component industry and thus also of Valvo began in the '80s with the rise of industry in Japan. Unprofitable production facilities were sold by the parent company Philips or closed. . It began with the electro-mechanical components, which were sold in 1988 were prepared by Philips Further restructuring in the long term: In 1989, the "Valvo GmbH" in the "Philips Components GmbH", renamed, the first trade name Valvo persisted. In 1992, the remaining components were divided into two areas, the "passive devices" and the "picture tubes" in "Philips Components", "Active Components" in "Philips Semiconductors". With this move, finally disappeared the trade name "Valvo" from the market.
Philips Components in 1999 was sold, the ceramic components have been taken over by Panasonic and still operate under "Phycomp" on the market. The electrolytic capacitors , plastic film capacitors and nonlinear resistors were put together with Messrs. Beyschlag from Heath, also a former Philips Company and the American Centralab and under the name BCcomponents first independently, then after three years of independence in 2002 by Vishay acquired. This year, Philips has its screen activities into a joint venture with Korea's LG (Lucky Goldstar) is introduced, so that the original Valvo core area, the tubes, not 100% was located ig in the Philips range. In 2006, the former Valvo semiconductor activities of Philips spun off and now operate under the name NXP continues in Hamburg. Thus the entire area of the former Valvo was dissolved components.
Valvo 1999, the specialized field of high frequency circulators and isolators was released into independence. The new company bought shortly after the no longer used by Philips trade name "Valvo Components GmbH" and today sells its products under the name Valvo successful on the market.
Share this post
- Tags: GERMANY, PHILIPS COMPONENTS GMBH, VALVO